Visit my website:

Thursday, August 29, 2013

OWCP recognizes entitlement to Augmented FECA Compensation Based on Claimant's Same Sex Spouse

OWCP now recognizes that same sex spouses are entitled to receive compensation at the augmented rate. If you are in a same sex marriage, you are entitled to receive augmented compensation pay retroactively back to the date of your marriage so long as you have lived with your spouse during this time period. Send a letter to your claims examiner requesting these benefits. You should include a copy of your marriage certificate and in your letter you need to confirm that you have lived with your spouse from the date of your marriage to the present. You may want to print out the link below and include that with your letter in case your claims examiner is unaware of this rule. As always, every piece of paper you send to OWCP should have your claim number clearly marked on the top right.