Visit my website:

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Resolution of a third party case may entitle you to be paid additional money by OPM

In a small number of OWCP claims, the cause of the injury is due to the negligence of a third party. You cannot sue your employer and coworkers, but if your injury was caused by an entity outside of the federal government you might have a third party case. When your third party case is resolved, your lawyer will distribute the money that is recovered, including repaying OWCP for some or all of the wage loss payments you have received. When that occurs you are repaying the workers compensation payments that you previously received. If you are also approved for your regular or disability pension, repaying the workers compensation wage loss pay may trigger entitlement to a payment from OPM for that closed period of time that you have had to repay OWCP. This can add up to a significant amount of money. If you have settled a third party case, you may be entitled to a payment from OPM for the period that you repaid OWCP.